- Olive oil cooking spray
- 5 medium zucchini (2 lb.)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. 85% lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (15oz) container whole milk ricotta cheese, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (packed, 1oz) chopped fresh basil
- 1⅓ cup no sugar added marinara sauce
- 8oz part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slice the zucchini lengthwise, into ¼-inch-thick strips, getting 6 slices out of each zucchini. Spray the zucchini slices with olive oil coking spray and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon black pepper and ½ teaspoon garlic powder. Grill the slices, in batches, 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden and firm – not browned and crisp. Spread on clean kitchen towels to soak up more moisture.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Add the meat, the minced garlic, ½ teaspoon kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the meat, until meat is browned, 5-7 minutes. Drain into a colander, then mix in a bowl with 1 cup marinara sauce.
- In another bowl, with a fork, mix together the ricotta, eggs, basil, and the remaining salt and pepper.
- Assemble the lasagna: Spread ⅓ cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9 X 13 baking dish; Top the marinara sauce with a layer of zucchini, then a third of the ricotta mixture, a third of the meat mixture, and a third of the mozzarella cheese; Repeat, arranging the zucchini slices in the opposite direction: zucchini, ⅓ ricotta, ⅓ meat mixture, ⅓ mozzarella; Repeat one last time, adding one extra layer of zucchini: zucchini, ricotta, meat mixture, more zucchini, and mozzarella.
- Bake, uncovered, until the cheese is golden, about 30 minutes. You can finish by broiling for 2 minutes on high to brown the cheese, if you wish.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: ⅛ Calories: 368.4
Saturated fat: 11.8g
--- advertisement ---