Spaghetti Squash Boats with Spicy Sausage
- 2 ripe spaghetti squash
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground hot turkey sausage (I used Jennie-O)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes
- ¼ cup half and half
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ cup part skim Mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 Tbsp basil, thinly sliced
- To make the spaghetti squash, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and cut squash right down the middle. Scoop out all the seeds and place cut side down on a baking sheet lightly sprayed with oil. DO NOT PIERCE WITH A FORK!! Many recipes say to do this, but we are using these cuts of squash later as bowls so you want them to remain intact.
- Bake squash in the oven for 45 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, drizzle oil into a large skillet and saute onion and garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add turkey sausage and cook until crumbled and lightly brown, draining if necessary, then add chicken broth, tomatoes, half and half, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Bring everything to a boil then cover and allow flavors to simmer on low to medium heat until spaghetti squash is ready.
- Remove squash from the oven and scrape out all the strands of spaghetti using a fork. Add all the spaghetti squash to your skillet along with a ¼ cup of cheese. Toss well until cheese is melted and squash is fully coated with sauce.
- Transfer squash mixture into your now scraped out squash bowls and top with the rest of your cheese. Place them back in the oven for about 3 to 4 minutes until cheese is melted and squash is heated through.
- Top with basil, serve and enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 squash boat • Calories: 278 • Fat: 13.5 g • Saturated Fat: 1.9 g • Carbs: 16.8 g • Fiber: 2.4 g • Protein: 21.9 g • Sugars: 8.9 g • WW Points+: 7 • Smart Points: 8
--- advertisement ---