Summer Potato Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
1 pound baby potatoes (I used red, white is fine too)
1 bunch of asparagus
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 of a small red onion, chopped
1/2 of a red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 of a orange bell pepper, chopped
1 cup canned corn*, strained
1/3 cup goat feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
1/3 cup green and kalamata olives
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon raw honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Pinch of sea salt
--- advertisement ---
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Fill a large pot with water. Keep the skins on the potatoes, clean them, and add them to the pot. 3. Bring the potatoes to a boil, turn down the heat to about medium-high and allow to boil for approximately 30 min or until tender when tested with a fork. Strain the potatoes and allow to cool.
4. Clean the asparagus and snap off the tough, woody end. Arrange the asparagus on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with the olive oil some salt and pepper to taste.
5. Bake for 20 to 30 min or until the asparagus is lightly browned. Remove from the oven and the baking sheet and set aside to cool.
6. While the potatoes and asparagus are cooking/cooling you can prepare the rest of the veggies: peppers, onions, corn, parsley and olives.
Dressing: I always like to make my dressing in a small mason jar. It’s quick and clean. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, zest, honey, mustard and salt to the jar, put a lid on it and shake away! This never fails to provide a beautifully emulsified vinaigrette.
Once the potatoes and asparagus have cooled to room temperature, your veggies are chopped, and vinaigrette is prepared, you are ready to put the salad together.
1. Cut the potatoes into quarters. Cut the asparagus into one inch pieces.
2. Add the peppers, corn, onions, olives, asparagus and parsley into a bowl. This is where I like to add the crumbled feta, which is completely optional. Leave it out if you don’t eat dairy. Add the potatoes in last and then pour in the dressing. Gently give it a stir.
This can be served immediately or even made in advance, it’s excellent either way!
Per Serving: Calories: 317; Total Fat: 26g; Saturated Fat: 4 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 18 g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 4 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 204 mg; Potassium: 499 mg; Carbohydrate: 24 g; Fiber: 3 g; Sugar: 6 g; Protein: 3 g
SmartPoints : 11
Nutrition Bonus: Vit C: 85%; Vit A: 22%; Iron: 12 %; Calcium: 3%