SLOW COOKER JAMBALAYA
--- advertisement ---
Spicy and flavorful slow cooker jambalaya is instant family favorite comfort food you will fix again and again. Way too easy and delicious to make only once!
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 package andouille sausage
- ½ pound uncooked shrimp (peeled and de-veined)
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to even thickness
- 3 bell peppers (one each of green, red, and yellow or orange), diced
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 jalapeños (see note), seeds and stems removed
- 1½ cups uncooked white rice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 30-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons store-bought or homemade cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper, or to taste
- cilantro or parsley, for topping (optional)
- Slice sausage into sections (about ¼ inch thick slices). Remove tails from shrimp if they are still on. Chop chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- Add sausage, chicken, bell peppers, jalapeños, chicken broth, tomatoes, minced garlic, cajun seasoning, and salt and pepper to greased slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on low. Stir in rice and cook another 1-2 hours until rice is fully cooked and tender
- About 20 minutes before serving, uncover slow cooker, stir in shrimp, re-cover and cook for another 15-20 minutes. Stir contents of slow cooker, sprinkle with chopped cilantro or parsley if desired, and serve hot.
Two jalapeños will not make this dish real spicy. If you want more of a kick I recommend adding a third jalapeño.