Never do These Five Things After Eating
After you have had a very satisfying meal, you probably just want to lay down for the rest of your evening and watch a great movie or a TV show. This is actually pretty wrong and is one of the worst things you can do after you eat.
--- advertisement ---
These are part of those small habits that can really get in our way of reaching our healthiest potential! This is why we have comprised a small list of things that you absolutely cannot do after you eat:
Five Things After Eating
- Sleep – if you go to sleep right after you have finished your meal then you will cause your stomach to burn through the night, causing some odd sleeping patterns, discomfort, bloating and so on. There was even a study which proved that people who waited the longest after having a meal have the less risk of having a stroke or a heart attack. Having this on your mind, the rule is not to eat a couple of hours before you go to bed.
- Smoke – unfortunately to some people, smoking is more than a thing. It is known to be probably the worst thing imaginable that you can do to your lungs. So, if you decide to do it, at least wait for a couple of hours after you have eaten to do so. This is all because the nicotine in the cigarettes will bind to the excess oxygen which is necessary in the digestion, allowing your body to absorb more carcinogens than the usual. According to some studies, having a smoke right after a meal is same as smoking ten cigarettes at once. Furthermore, this process will also increase your risk of bowel and lung cancer.
- Shower – when a person showers, the body increases the flow of blood in order to reach the hands, body and legs, thus decreasing the amount of flow of blood to your stomach. This will weaken your digestive system, will make it inefficient and will cause some stomach pains.
- Eat fruit – let us guess, you thought that you could eat fruit in any time of the day, right? Well, this is unfortunately not correct. The best time to consume some fruit is on an empty stomach. This is all because the fruit requires some different enzymes to digest, and the simplest way to do that is to give them some time to be digested in the body. So, because there is nothing else in your stomach except for the fruit, you can benefit from all the sugar, nutrients and fiber. However, if you are one of those people who wait after a meal in order to consume some fruit, then you’ve got it all wrong. This is how the fruit can stay longer in the gut and rot there. This will ultimately lead to heartburn, indigestion, burping and a lot of other discomforts.
- Drink tea – this is a way for the iron absorption to be interfered with. The tannic acid which is a part of the tea easily binds with the protein and the iron in our food, which prevents our bodies from enjoying all the benefits from digesting them. Drinking tea right after a meal results in 87% decrease in the iron absorption. Low levels of iron can be the cause of anemia, deficiency of the red blood cells in the body, which will ultimately cause fatigue, pale skin, weakness, chest pain, cold hands and feet, dizziness, brittle nails, and poor appetite.
So, this is why the next time you sit down for a meal, make sure you create a mental note in your head and leave some time between taking a shower, lying down, eating some fruit, drinking a cup of tea or lighting one cigarette up. Or better yet, just quit from the last one. Be safe!