“This three-bean salad has far less sugar than typical versions. We opt for a combination of canned and frozen beans (for convenience) along with fresh green beans for their great taste and texture.”
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- ⅓ cup diced red onion
- 1 15-ounce can black-eyed peas , or chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 10-ounce package frozen baby lima beans , or shelled edamame
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1Put a large saucepan of water on to boil. Fill a large bowl half full with ice water and place next to the stove.
- 2Meanwhile, whisk cider vinegar, rice vinegar, sugar, mustard, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl until blended. Add onion and black-eyed peas (or chickpeas); toss to coat.
- 3Cook lima beans (or edamame) in the boiling water until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and refresh in the ice water. Pat dry and add to the bowl.
- 4Cook green beans in the boiling water until just tender, 3 to 6 minutes. Drain and refresh in the ice water. Pat dry and add to the salad along with parsley; toss well.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cook lima beans and green beans (see Steps 3-4 for timing) and refrigerate separately. Toss the salad components with the dressing just before serving.
--- advertisement ---