What is Gluten Sensitivity, and 10 Most Common Symptoms!
In today’s modern health, sensitivity to gluten is a serious issue. People who suffer from gluten sensitivity have difficulty digesting gluten.
--- advertisement ---
Celiac disease is the only medical concern surrounding gluten sensitivity. It starts from an autoimmune response to gluten, and if it is left untreated it can contribute to mental illness, cancer and diminutive body growth.
When doctors perform tests for celiac disease they often ignore gluten sensitivity.
What gluten sensitivity means?
Gluten is a protein which can be found in all around us foods such as grains, hair products and even in playdoh. When the body has a gluten sensitivity it has adverse effect on every inch of healthy tissue in your body.
Medical experts say that if gluten sensitivity goes unrecognized it causes trouble in 99% of the people.
Here are the most common gluten sensitivity symptoms
- Digestive issue such as bloating, abdominal pain, gas and irritable bowel syndrome, are the most obvious indications of gluten sensitivity;
- Anxiety, depression and sudden drastic mood changes are also symptoms of gluten sensitivity;
- Dizziness, tingling sensation and trouble balancing;
- Headache and migraines;
- Abdominal tiredness throughout the day;
- Rashes like eczema and psoriasis can indicate gluten sensitivity;
- Inflammation and pain may occur as a result of gluten sensitivity;
- Issues with hormone balance can cause worsened PMS;
- Keratosis pilaris may also develop on the skin. This usually happens when gluten sensitivity damages the stomach;
- Frequent joint pain and inflammation.
Testing for gluten intolerance
Because the medical focus on gluten health issues is small, there aren’t many testing methods available at the moment. Only blood testing and elimination diet are relevant methods.
Blood testing is straightforward but many people chose to use the elimination diets method. This method could work for you if you experience any of the gluten sensitivity symptoms.
The elimination diet method is based on avoiding foods that contain gluten. Avoiding these foods for 3 weeks and taking notes on the symptoms can bring a mass effect. If you symptoms gotten better, there are chances that your body cannot tolerate gluten.
The most important thing about this method is to stay committed. Even the slightest amount of gluten should be avoided during the elimination period.
How to treat gluten sensitivity
The only sure way to treat gluten sensitivity is to eliminate gluten from your life. The real results come from cutting back on gluten 100%. Some people may find this difficult, so for that, here are some helpful tips to keep them on track.
- Start shopping in the gluten- free alternative section. Don’t cut your favorite foods, there are a ton of brand and pasta. Completely avoid any wheat, rye or barely.
- Always choose whole foods over processed.
- Have some digestive aids handy, just in case you do consume some gluten accidentally.
- Carefully read the labels of your groceries, read if they include gluten and terms such as vegetable protein, flour, vegetable hum, soy etc.