Southern Fried Apples
--- advertisement ---
- 2 medium apples, cored but not peeled and sliced into ½-inch thick rings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- Heat butter over medium-low heat in a large, heavy skillet. In a small bowl, stir together sugar, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- Place the apples in a single layer in the bottom of the skillet.
- Sprinkle half of the sugar mixture over the apples.
- Cook apples for 5 minutes without moving them. Then use a spatula to gently flip the apple slices.
Sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture and continue to cook apples over low heat until apples are almost transparent (about 3-5 more minutes). Be careful not to overcook the apples or they will fall apart.
- Serve immediately.
Serving a Larger Family? Just multiply the recipe to prepare as many apples as you need. You can fry them in batches.