Dump-and-Bake Country Captain Chicken with Rice
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 ¼ cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup mango chutney
- 1 ½ cups uncooked instant white rice
- 1 cup diced onion (I use frozen diced onion so that there’s no prep work)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, NOT drained
- 1 lb. thin-sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins, diced into bite-sized pieces
- Optional garnish: toasted shredded coconut, sliced toasted almonds, sliced green onion, fresh herbs, golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In the prepared dish (or in a separate bowl) whisk together tomato paste, curry powder, garlic, chicken broth, and mango chutney. Add uncooked rice, onion, bell pepper, diced tomatoes (with juice), and raw chicken.
- Cover dish tightly with foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and give it all a stir.
- Return the dish to the oven, uncovered, and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and rice is tender.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with optional toppings.
--- advertisement ---