Delicious caramelised onion and bacon quiche
When was the last time you made quiche?
--- advertisement ---
When it comes to quiche, it’s fair to say that most families have a recipe that’s been passed down for generations.
But if you’re looking to add some new flavours to your dish next time you’re in the kitchen, this delicious caramelised onion and bacon quiche is the way to go.
It’s easy to make and can be served hot or cold. What’s not to love?
- 25g butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 350g shortcrust pastry
- 200g smoked bacon rashers
- 300g double cream
- 100ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 3 pinches nutmeg
- 140g grated cheese
- Melt butter in frying pan on medium heat, adding onions.
- Stir for 20 mins until brown. Stir in thyme leaves and place in bowl to cool.
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Roll out pastry on floured surface to line a loose-bottom tin. Ensure there is overhang around the top.
- Press pastry into sides of tin, pricking the base. Put in fridge for 15 mins.
- Bake in oven for 25 mins until pastry is cooked. Ensure it isn’t too brown.
- Place bacon into pan and fry for 10 mins.
- Beat cream, milk, eggs, nutmeg then stir in bacon and half the cheese.
- Remove pastry from oven and reduce heat to 190°C.
- Place onions over base and add bacon mixture.
- Add remaining cheese and nutmeg to top and back for 30 mins until golden.
- Cool for 10 mins and serve.