Dump-and-Bake General Tso Chicken
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons finely minced fresh garlic (I like to use a squeeze bottle of minced garlic from the produce section as a shortcut)
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (add more for a spicier dish or omit for a mild dish)
- ¼ cup peanuts
- Optional garnish: sliced green onions, toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a medium baking dish with cooking spray (I have used a deep 9-inch by 6-inch dish and an 11-inch by 7-inch dish, and both work well).
- Place chicken in the prepared dish. Sprinkle with cornstarch and toss to coat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together chicken broth, brown sugar, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, salt, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Pour sauce over chicken and stir to combine.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Stir, return to the oven for 5-10 more minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened.
- Remove from oven, stir in peanuts. Season with additional salt and red pepper flakes, to taste. Garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds just before serving.
--- advertisement ---