Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- 2 pounds chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 (6-inch) Italian-style rolls
- Spray the insert of a 7-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Rub all surfaces of the chuck roast with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the salt, and the pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the roast and sear all sides until browned.
- While the meat is browning, place the sliced onion in the slow cooker in one layer.
- Transfer the roast to the slow cooker and pour the broth and Worcestershire sauce over. Add the bay leaf, cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board to cool for 10 minutes. Skim any excess fat from the juices in the slow cooker. Slice the meat into very thin slices and return it to the juices in the slow cooker on the Warm setting until serving time.
- Preheat the broiler. Place slices of the roast on the bottom halves of the rolls and use a slotted spoon to add some onion slices. Broil for a few minutes, or until rolls are toasted.
- Serve with the sauce on the side for dipping.
--- advertisement ---