Classic homemade apricot tart
This classic apricot dessert is a family favourite, and it’s no wonder. The buttery pastry is packed with seasonal apricots, a tasty frangipane mixture, and topped with flaked almonds for a pretty finish.
--- advertisement ---
It’s a great dish to pull when you have the family over, or when you’ve got guests to impress. Dish it up hot out of the oven with oodles of cream, custard or vanilla icing and enjoy!
- 100g blanched almonds
- 100g plain flour (plus extra to sprinkle)
- 150g caster sugar
- 100g unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1kg ripe apricots
- 50g flaked almonds
- Icing sugar, to dust
- 250g plain flour
- 110g icing sugar
- 110g unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- To make pastry, place flour and icing sugar in food processor and mix for a few seconds to combine.
- Add butter and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add egg and continue processing until the mixture comes together to form smooth ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll pastry out on lightly floured workbench and use to line a 24cm tart pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place almonds in food processor and mix to a fine meal. Add flour, sugar, butter and eggs and process until creamy.
- Refrigerate almond mixture (frangipane) until ready to use.
- Halve apricots and remove and discard the stones, then place on tray and sprinkle with extra 4 tbsp of sugar. Set aside for 30 minutes to soften.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place almond mixture in tart shell. Cover with apricots, cut-side down, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle tart with flaked almonds, return to oven for 30 minutes.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.