Prep time: 5 minutes
--- advertisement ---
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1¼ cup
- 1 (13.25-ounce) box whole-wheat penne pasta (I like Barilla®)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (23.25-ounce) jar Prego® Light Smart Traditional pasta sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup low-fat cottage cheese
- ½ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1½ cups shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (I like Sargento®)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the pasta to al dente according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions have softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and pour in the pasta sauce. Stir in the basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Coat an 8×8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the cottage cheese, ricotta, and 1 cup of the mozzarella.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the cooked pasta.
- Transfer half of the pasta to baking dish. Evenly spread half of the cheese mixture on top. Then add the remaining pasta followed by the remaining cheese mixture. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup mozzarella on top.
- Bake uncovered for until the cheese is melted, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Serve garnished with the parsley.
Per Serving: (1¼ cup)
Sat Fat: 2g