sweet tea glazed pork loin – 8 points +
- 2 lb pork loin roast
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 bags black tea
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Blackberry Sweet Tea Sauce:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cups blackberries, divided
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tea reduction (reserved from glaze)
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Salt & Pepper
- For the glaze:
- Heat the water and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Remove from heat, add the tea bags, thyme and zest. Steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain the tea mixture.
- Reduce the tea mixture over medium heat until only 1 cup remains. It’ll take about 30-35 minutes.
- Reserve 1/4 cup for the sweet tea sauce.
- While the tea mixture is reducing, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Baste the pork roast with the tea glaze.
- Baste the pork every 10 minutes with the tea mixture while cooking.
- Bake for 30 – 45 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees.
- While the pork is baking, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan.
- Saute the onion until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup blackberries, chicken broth and tea reduction.
- Simmer until the blackberries begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk together the vinegar and cornstarch.
- Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the sauce and whisk until it begins to thicken.
- While whisking, squish the berries to help them break down.
- Add the remaining blackberries and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the pork from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve topped with the Blackberry Sweet Tea Sauce.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
--- advertisement ---
Diet tags: High protein, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 4 oz pork roast with 3 Tbsp Blackberry Sweet Tea Glaze
Each serving = 9 Smart Points/8 Points +
PER SERVING: 324 calories; 13g fat; 3.9g saturated fat; 18.3g carbohydrates; 7.9 g sugar; 33g protein; 2.7g fiber