Awesome Tips on How to Put a Baby to Sleep
So many things can make a baby not to sleep at night. It may be as a result of hunger or lack of reassurance. The baby may also find it difficult due to lack of comfort. Teething problem is yet another factor that can prevent the child from sleeping at night. In ability of your child to sleep also means you too will not be able to sleep properly. Consequently, your energy will be sapped by the time it is daybreak and you will not be productive all day long. In order to give yourself the required rest every night, you need to learn how to put a baby to sleep.
--- advertisement ---
Believe me; depression is on the way if you consistently fall into this situation. Whatever the case may be, there are certain things you can do to help the child fall asleep. This is exactly why this write-up is put together; to enlighten you on those simple things you can do as a mother that will make the child sleep at night. These things will make your child sleep all night long and till the morning. The hints given here need to be carried out on consistent basis in order to get the desired result from them.
Tips on How to Put a Baby to Sleep
Change in feeding pattern
You can modify the child’s feeding pattern to make him or her sleep properly during the night. How can you do this? Makes sure you add lots of liveliness and socialization to his day time feeding. However, make sure the night time feeding is calm and quiet. This will make the child understand that night time is not for play or socialization. You will be able to reset his body clock this way.
Day time feeding
You can follow the steps below when feeding the baby during the day
- Place him in the comfort of your arm while breastfeeding him.
- Smile at him and make him smile back or even laugh.
- Tease his body while the feeding is going on.
- Pat his buttocks and make him feel happy and lively.
Night time feeding
- Place the baby on the bed or in the cot.
- Release the side cover of the cot so that you can feed him without picking him off the bed.
- Do not play with him at all.
- Stroke his body gently like you are rocking him to sleep.
- He may fall asleep this way while the breastfeeding is ongoing.
The nighttime feeding method described above is best performed when you co-sleep with the baby.
However, it is not safe to co-sleep with your baby if you or your husband is guilty of any of the following:
- Take any drug that makes you to sleep rather heavily
- Take alcohol
Give them opportunity to fall asleep by themselves
One of the best ways to make your baby fall asleep at night is to allow the child to sleep on his own. Instead of rocking him to sleep, just lay him in the cot and allow him to sleep. This way, he will become used to sleeping on his own without your support or petting. It will save you a lot of trouble and will make your night more restful. This process can be started when the baby is six weeks old; the natural circadian rhythm of the baby is developing at this stage. If you breast feed him or rock him to sleep always, he will end up depending on it and this will put even more pressure on you as the mother.
How to do this
- Place your baby on his back when he feels sleepy, but still awake.
- Do not be tempted to feed him or rock him to sleep at all.
- Keep the room as quiet as possible around this time.
- Regulate air flow in the room
- Reduce light and reflection in the room
- Leave the room once you have laid him down
- You can come back to check on him once in a while as he sleeps
- In the event your baby is used to sleeping in your arms as you breastfeed him, wake him up gently when he is about to drift off to sleep. Lay him in the cot after waking him up and watch him sleep on his own.
You need to practice this as often as possible, since it will help the baby to get used to sleeping by himself.
Set short and simple bedtime routine
This should be done once the baby is up to 3 months. In order to make the bedtime routine work perfectly, make sure you encourage some quiet time before its starts. The quiet time should start some 30 minutes before bed time. This includes turning off the television. You should also wind down all activities and this will help set the scene for the baby to feel relaxed and quiet; these are very helpful in making the baby sleep at night.
Other bedtime routines you can include to help the baby fall asleep are highlighted below:
- Kissing the baby goodnight
- Giving the baby gentle massage
- Singing the baby a lullaby
- Reading to him his bedtime story
- Changing him into his pyjamas
- Giving the baby a bath, playing quiet game with the baby.
Whatever you include in the list of bedtime routines, make sure that it helps to calm the baby down. The bedtime routine lasts for about 30 minutes in most instances.
Give security object to your older kid
Such objects you can hand over to the older kid are stuffed animal or baby blanket. This is best for kids that are older than 6 months. Why does the baby need such security object? He needs to be reminded of you. As he grows older, he would start noticing if you stay too far away from him and he may not feel comfortable with this, leading to crying and wailing all night long. The best way to make him feel you are still around is via these security objects. Babies less than six months should not be given this kind of soft toy or comforter anyway. This is because such things can put the baby at risk of what is called Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).