“Zucchini stuffed with tomatoes, mozzarella and basil make a fresh summer side dish. For the nicest presentation, use long, relatively skinny zucchini.”
--- advertisement ---
- ½ cup diced mozzarella cheese, preferably fresh
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup quartered grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 medium 2-inch-wide zucchini
- 1Trim both ends off zucchini; cut in half lengthwise. Cut a thin slice off the backs so each half sits flat. Scoop out the pulp, leaving a ¼-inch shell. Finely chop the pulp; set aside.
- 2Place the zucchini halves in a microwave-safe dish. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and microwave on High until tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. (Alternatively, steam in a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling water in a large skillet or pot.)
- 3Whisk oil, vinegar, shallot and the remaining ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add tomatoes, cheese, basil and the reserved zucchini pulp; toss to combine. Divide the filling among the zu-canoes.