Spicy grilled zucchini with curried dip
- 3 medium zucchinis (about 1.2 kg / 2.5 lb)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 3 black peppercorns
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- fresh coriander, to garnish
--- advertisement ---
- ½ cup cashews, soaked overnight and chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ garlic clove
- 1 heaped tsp grated ginger
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- Toast whole spices in a small frying pan, stirring frequently, until fragrant (about a minute). Remove from the heat, allow to cool, then pound in a pestle and mortar to a coarse powder.
- Slice the zucchinis into thick slices (0.5 cm / 0.1″) lengthwise.
- Heat up a griddle pan on a medium-high heat (you can also use a hot barbecue). Brush the zucchini slices with a little bit of oil and place them on a hot pan. Allow them to cook for about one minute on each side, until they get soft and nicely charred on both sides.
- Sprinkle the zucchini slices with some of the spice mixture, salt, lemon zest and toss them around gently. Squeeze a little lemon juice over them too and sprinkle on some fresh coriander.
- Pour lemon juice, olive oil and 3 tbsp of water to the bottom of a blender. Add half of the chopped cashews and process until smooth, then add the rest of the chopped cashews.
- Season with garlic, ginger, garam masala, salt and pepper.
- In a small pot, prepare a simple chickpea roux by mixing chickpea flour with 2-3 tbsp water and bringing to a gentle simmer.
- Mix the chickpea roux into the cashew dip in order to thicken it. Chill for a few hours – the dip will thicken as it cools.