Tasty and hearty eggplant curry
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 2cm chunks
- 2 red onions, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 2 thumb-sized pieces of ginger, grated
- 4 tablespoons rogan josh curry paste
- 2 tablespoons groundnut oil
- 500g yellow split peas
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 cup basmati rice
- Preheat oven to 180C. Place eggplant, onion, garlic and ginger into a large, deep roasting tray with curry paste and groundnut oil. Toss together until well coated, then roast for 20 to 25 minutes, or until sticky and caramelised.
- Remove half the roasted veg to a large pan and return the tray to the oven to keep warm – turn the oven off so that the remaining veg don’t dry out.
- Place the pan on a low heat on stove. Stir in split peas, stock cube and add 2 litres of boiling water. Simmer for 1 hour 20 minutes with the lid on, or until the split peas are tender and the dhal has thickened, stirring occasionally, and adding splashes of water to loosen, if needed.
- Put rice and 2 cups of boiling water into a pan with a pinch of salt. Cook on a medium heat with the lid on for 12 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Serve rice in a bowl topped with dhal and roast veggies. Scatter with coriander and top with a dollop of natural yoghurt.
--- advertisement ---