Southern Cornbread Stuffing
- 6 cups cornbread, cut into 1-inch cubes*
- ¾ cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup diced apple
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth, plus more if needed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cornbread, pecans, apple, and cranberries. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onions and celery, cooking until tender (about 5-7 minutes). Add herbs (parsley, rosemary, sage, and thyme), and cook until fragrant (about 1 more minute).
- Transfer onion and herb mixture to the large bowl with the cornbread. Add eggs, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Stir in the chicken broth until the stuffing is moistened (you may need more than 2 cups).
- Transfer the stuffing into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake (uncovered) until golden, about 45 minutes.
--- advertisement ---