Tasty cheddar and caramelised onion tarts
These tasty cheddar tarts are the perfect addition to your picnic basket or a tasty snack for guests.
--- advertisement ---
This delicious tart is made up of thyme pastry and a cheese filling, completed with Dijon mustard and caramelised onion. All these ingredients combine to create a sensational flavour that will have your guests asking for seconds.
This recipe can be a small snack or can be coupled with a salad for a light meal.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 brown onions, thinly sliced
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup pure cream
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup grated vintage cheddar
- 2 cups plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 165g chilled butter, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp chilled water
- Blend the flour, butter, and thyme in a food processor until it looks crumb-like.
- Add the egg yolk and chilled water and process again until a pastry-like mixture forms.
- Knead the pastry out into a small disc on a floured chopping board.
- Cover with glad wrap and place in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease up some 8 x 3cm-deep fluted tart pans or a few muffin trays.
- Divide the cooled pastry into 8 equal parts and roll them out into discs that fit your tart tins.
- Press the dough into the into the base and edges of the tart tins and refrigerate for another 30 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium and add onion, cooking for 10 mins until caramelised.
- Set the onion aside to cool.
- Use baking paper to line the pastry bases and add rice on top to weight down the baking paper.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove the baking paper and rice.
- Place back in the oven for another 10 mins until golden brown.
- place half the onion mixture and any leftover thyme in the pasty cases evenly.
- Whisk the egg with the cream and mustard and add the salt a pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over the onions an thyme, making sure to divide it evenly.
- Add the remaining onion and the cheese to the tops of the tarts.
- Place the tarts in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden on top.
- Leave the tarts to set for 5 mins and serve.
Serve with a side salad and enjoy!