Healthy Slow Cooker Chili
--- advertisement ---
- 2 lbs. extra-lean ground beef (you can sub with ground chicken or ground turkey if you prefer)
- 1 ¼ cups frozen diced onion (or about 1 large onion)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Lawry’s seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans or small pink beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, NOT drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn kernels, drained
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese; sliced green onions; sour cream; sliced olives; crushed tortilla chips
- Heat about 2 teaspoons olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef, onion, and garlic in the skillet until beef is no longer pink. Drain.
- Place beef mixture inside a large slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with optional toppings.