Zesty lemon biscuits with coconut cream filling
--- advertisement ---
- 105g (1 1/4 cups) desiccated coconut
- 100g (1 cup) almond meal
- 50g (1/4 cup) coconut sugar
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- Large pinch sea salt
- 60ml (1/4 cup) honey
- 60g (1/4 cup) solidified coconut oil
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 270ml can coconut milk (do not shake)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Mix together coconut, almond meal, sugar, rind, baking powder and salt in a large bowl until combined.
- Create a well in the centre using your hands.
- Add the honey, oil, almond butter and juice to a microwavable container and heat for 30 seconds.
- Mix until combined then return to the microwave for a further 30 seconds.
- Place the mixture in the well you made earlier and add the egg to the well.
- Stir until the mixture is combined and forms a sticky dough.
- Roll the dough into balls and place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Flatten slightly and cook for about 14-15 mins making sure they are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, grind together your lemon and sugar in a mortar and pestle until combined.
- Open your coconut milk and carefully spoon off any solidified coconut.
- Mix the vanilla and sugar mixture into the coconut milk until combined.
- Whisk in the lemon juice to complete the icing.
- Making sure the biscuits are cool sandwich the icing between two biscuits at a time and place in an airtight container.
- Refrigirate and serve.