Crumbly melt-in-the-mouth sausage rolls
Enjoying a crumbly sausage roll is a real treat, so why not take it up a level to a warm, homemade one packed full of juicy chorizo?
--- advertisement ---
These sausage rolls combine melt-in-the-mouth pastry with a mix of chorizo, pork meat, apple and herbs – giving it an extra kick. Topped with sesame seeds, they’re a twist on the classic family snack – and guaranteed to impress your guests.
Whether you want a quick snack on the go, or a larger roll to offer round the dinner table, it’s difficult to beat the homely favourite. And with fresh ingredients, and just a few simple steps to follow, it won’t eat into your free time either.
While the rolls pictured are small, you can make them whatever size you desire. So what are you waiting for? Dig in.
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored, and grated
- 3 fresh chorizo sausages
- 350g pork mince
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (if available)
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, just thawed
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tbsp black or white sesame seeds
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (or 180°C for fan ovens) and line baking tray with baking paper.
- Use hands to mix together chorizo meat, pork mince, onion, apple, oats, parsley, sage and fennel seeds.
- Split meat into two (or more if you want smaller rolls), and roll into a log shape at centre of pastry sheet.
- Roll the pastry round carefully, tucking in all edges.
- Keep seam-side down and place on baking tray.
- Place in freezer for around 5-10 minutes to firm up.
- Brush pastry with a little egg and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Bake for around 45 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
These are great served with a cold salad as a snack, or potatoes and sauce for dinner.