Amazing caramel, nut and chocolate slice
This tasty slice is a delicious recipe to add to your repertoire and a lovely winter warmer once the weather cools down. It’s made in two parts with the base baked in the oven first, before the syrupy, buttery topping is poured over the top. The effect is a beautifully layered slice that no only looks a treat, but tastes amazing, too.
--- advertisement ---
Chocolate chips and chopped nuts are also mixed through the topping before it’s put in the oven for the final stage of baking, leaving you with soft chocolate chunks and crunchy nuts throughout. Once cooked, cut into squares and store in the fridge. Zap it in the microwave for about 20 seconds before serving to soften it up and serve with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delicious treat.
- 150g plain flour
- 65g ground almonds
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 90g chopped butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp cool water
- 200ml sweetened condensed milk
- 90g melted butter
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 beaten egg
- 75g self raising flour
- 200g chopped mixed nuts
- 100g chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 200°c.
- Line a rectangle baking dish with baking paper.
- Blend flour, almonds, sugar, chopped butter and egg yolk together.
- Once combined, add water until mixture is thick.
- Press mixture in pre-prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 10 mins.
- Combine condensed milk, melted butter, golden syrup and egg in separate bowl. Add self-raising flour, chopped nuts and chocolate chips and mix until combined.
- Remove baking dish from oven and pour topping over base. Put back in oven and continue cooking for an additional 15 mins.
- Once cool, cut into slices and serve with ice cream.