Classic Victoria sponge cake
This classic English dessert has been a family favourite for years. It’s perfect for special events or an afternoon tea at home paired with a cuppa. This version has a delicious layer of raspberry jam complimented with a generous amount of whipped cream sandwiched in the middle. For some reason, these cakes always taste so much better when they are homemade, and that also means you can add as much jam and cream as you want!
--- advertisement ---
- 200g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 medium eggs
- 200g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 6 tbsp raspberry jam
- 250ml double cream, whipped
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Heat oven to 190C fan forced. Grease and flour 2 x 20cm sandwich tins. In a large bowl place butter, sugar and vanilla extract. With electric beaters, beat until smooth and creamy. Add in eggs one by one and beat in slowly. Fold in flour to the mixture and mix well to combine.
- Pour the mixture evenly between the cake tins. Place into oven and bake for 20 minutes, making sure the it is risen and browned. Remove from oven and leave in tin to cool for 5 minutes. Remove from tin and cool completely on wire rack.
- Spread jam over the bottom half of one side and cream on the other. Press the halves together. Dust over the top with icing sugar and cut into even slices. Serve.